Do an Olive Oil tasting can be something fun and surprising. You could recognize more scents than you can image in the first place.
We recommend you to do the tasting with your friends, in that way you can compare your impressions with each other. And if you have children at home, you can tell them to join you! We are sure that you would learn a lot about the instinct they have and adults have lost.
Initial preparations for doing an Olive Oil tasting
We would need:
- Tasting glass and cover
- Tasting sheets
- Olive Oil
The perfect conditions to do a tasting are:
- Not having a cold
- Not be scented
- Have not eaten any food with a strong flavour. If that is the case, you can eat a bitten of apple to remove the flavour.
You should analyze the flavour and smell it when you are doing the tasting. The best option is to use a blue tasting glass because the colour should not be consider. This do not affect to the quality of the Olive Oil. Additionally, you can use a specific Olive Oil with strong colour to add some attractiveness to a plate.
- Pour a small quantity of Olive Oil inside the tasting glass and cover it. Warm the glass with your own hands.
- Swirl the oil gently with the glass is completely close for the Olive Oil to move through the walls.
- Stick your nose into the glass and smell the Olive Oil. Take a deep breath.
- Then you would have an initial perception of the scents. Try to associate them with the ones that appears in the tasting sheets. What smell do you remember?
- Rest and repeat the process slowly several times.
- Take notes of the featured scents in the tasting sheet.
- Take a sip of Olive Oil, 5ml approximately.
- Distribute the oil inside your mouth, through all the oral cavity as if it was a mouthwash.
- Close your mouth and breath fresh air shortly opening your lips half-way. This would help you to notice new scents.
- Drink the Olive Oil, if it is spicy you will notice it inside your throat. Wait 30 seconds and analyze if one of the flavour comes back to your mouth. This is called ‘aftertaste’.
- Complete the tasting sheet adding new attributes or validating the ones you detected in the olfactory analysis.
Notes for the taste of Olive Oil Virgin Extra:
The intensity of the fruitiness is been manifesting in the olfactory analysis.
You can appreciate the intensity of bitter and spicy in the gustatory analysis. These are POSITIVE qualities.
If you detect negative attributes while you are doing the olfactory or gustatory analysis, the Olive Oil cannot be considered Virgin Extra.
An Olive Oil Virgin Extra should have a NICE smell, should be fresh, smell like field, nature, should make you remember to: fruits, vegetables, wildflowers, grass, nuts… You can know more about Picual Olive Oil taste!
Do you dare to do an Olive Oil tasting? If you prefer to do it with a group of people you can join our tasting, contact us! You could try also our Gourmet Olive Oil and notice the difference between Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Olive Oil. Write us an e-mail at email@example.com and we will inform you about our events.